My 5 Best Tips for SoldieringThrough Writer's Block

Writer's block comes in a lot of forms, though it generally refers to sitting at the keyboard with despair wondering why the words don't come. I believe it is important to discover what your specific type of writer's block is and then work with that. Each of my tips are workarounds for writer's block and these are the five that have worked best for me.
 
1) Walk the dog/take a walk outside. I use this type of exercise to wake up my brain and for creativity. This works especially well for when I have written my characters into a corner and I'm stuck for how to move on. What I do: I reread the last scene or two I've written and the outline for what is to come next, then walk for about fifteen minutes. Usually about half way through the walk the ideas just start pouring in and by the time I get back I have five hundred or more words ready to go. Try to leave your computer plugged in and up for this to work best, but if you are worried about saving money or the environment then keep several sheets of paper and a pencil next to the computer while you boot up to get those ideas out before the flit away.
 
2) Type something. I use this for when I can't get the next sentence out but I know what the plot point is. I use old commercials and type the catchphrases over and over again and usually in less than a minute the sentences change over to my current work.
 
3) Put on my favorite music. I use this for when I'm too moody to write. There's nothing more zapping to my writing spirit than a rainy day. (Which is why I don't move to Seattle.) I put on my favorite music to improve my mood when it transports me to a better world, I write to be away from my rainy day. I also listen to sad music when it's sunny and I have to write a really sad scene.
 
4) I get a snack/ cup of tea/cup of coffee. Sometimes I get so wrapped up in my day that I have trouble transitioning to writing. Have a calming ritual to get my mind right helps me connect to the story.
 
5) I reread what I've written so far. Some days the story just isn't there. Because my ideas in the beginning come faster than I can write, scenes I meant to integrate get lost. By back tracking I can insert scenes or information that is missing, I'm careful only to add and never to subtract.
 
I hope these help you!
 
Love,
Melanie

Comments

Subscribe Now!

Popular Posts