Confessions and Confronting Fear, A Novelist's Nightmare

Right, so after suppressing my urge to write new material for the better part of a year. (Seriously just been doing the rewrite on my  novel Aaralyn's Choice since December 1st of last year.) I decided to go on an intrepid camping trip on the internet otherwise known as Camp NaNo. As a departure, I'm writing something that is almost completely science fiction. But while I'm cheating on my rewrite, I decided I'm going to conquer some of my biggest writing fears this month. (Did I say conquer, er I mean just look at them until one of us gives.)
 
Every writer has a set of fears, perhaps most of us have the same set of fears. Mine are writing Mary Sues, being derivative, being uninteresting, writing something that has no underlying meaning, being really, really bad, and being unimaginative. It seems that every time I turn around my writer friends are coming up with ideas that are better and that leads to negative self talk on my part. So I'm looking down the barrel of Mary Sue, unimaginative, derivative piece of drivel and throwing in a story to deal with how homesick I am at the same time.
 
So for those of you following along at home, let me tell you about this month's project. Roanoke, The Lost Martian Colony, ought to be pretty self explanatory. You can comment on my drivel here. I've opened up comments to anyone who wants to say something. Or you can just read as I write it, but the going with writing is slow, so...don't be surprised by the outcome.
 
So this character, Ella White, who is the female lead, is basically me. The blonde hair, the blue eyes, the hundred and twenty five pounds of kick ass I would like to be, setting off on a mission to rescue the failing colony her father, John White returned to Earth to try to save. On her mission she meets Joshua Dare, who is the leader of the mission set to command both the mercenary troops being sent to provide security to the colony and the drillers, welders, and heavy construction types sent to help expand the colony. If you know the story, you know what happens to the two of them.
 
I would like to thank the countless actors, who unbeknownst to them have lent their physical presence to my imagination. I wish this could be a movie and you all could act in it, but hey, there are those out there who are sticklers for historical fact and I'm not just playing fast and loose with the Lost Colony of Roanoke, I'm throwing the book out all together. So this work pretty much doesn't stand a chance of being made into a movie anyway. (Though I might self publish it just to pollute the world with one more book it doesn't need.)
 
I hope you guys have fun. Please feel free to hate the plot.
 
Love,
 
Melanie
 


Comments

Subscribe Now!

Popular Posts