April is National Poetry Month


"A rose, by any other name, would smell as sweet."

William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet

National Poetry Month was established in the 1990s after the success of Black History Month (February) and Women's History Month (March) made strides in bringing these subjects much deserved attention. I am going to celebrate the month with a few blog posts about poetry and I am hoping to have a poet do a guest spot on the blog.

I feel poetry is waning in our culture. And perhaps it is too much to ask for us to read it when we can have such options for entertainment at our finger tips.

However, poetry philosophy's child, wrapped in a pretty bow.

And while I can't write poetry very well, I do appreciate it. And I do enjoy it.

This month I want to talk about a few aspects of poetry and encourage you to attempt your own. Getting better at poetry will only improve your prose. So there will be forthcoming posts on rhythm, meter, rhyme, alliteration, and verse/line. This are only some of the basics, and I am not an expert. In the mean time, check out a book of poetry at your local library today. 




Comments

Subscribe Now!

Popular Posts