An Open Letter to Brian Williams

Dear Mr. Williams,

This letter may not go the way you want it to go, but I find as a long time fan I can no longer remain silent. I'm not going to discuss the merits of your infractions, nor my emotional response to it. On that subject I believe the internet has it covered. 

Each day I keep thinking I'll wake up to find you've resigned, honorably. It would be in keeping with what I believe I know of your character.  But I'm secretly glad you haven't. I've followed you throughout your entire tenure at NBC. I've been a huge fan. You were kind of my rebound guy after many a painful breakup. Politics is my second love. So to have a smart, articulate guy on my TV every night comforted me. I want you on my TV. Though it does seem I don't get what I want a lot.

I stayed up all night with you when Princess Diana died. That meant a lot! My heart broke for you when Dale Earnhart passed. I'd seen your son that day at Talladega. We wondered whose kid it was, but that was a great moment for him and you as his dad. 

I watched you on MSNBC as you grew into your anchor role. I remember the day a cold took away your voice on air. I thought "That takes guts." 

I watched as you defended how much and what kind of Katrina coverage you chose. And I thought "That man has a steel backbone." 

I've learned so much from you. I've been so inspired by your story and it helped me come to terms with my own college experience. But I find now in your darkest professional hour I don't know what to do. Do I root to have you back on my TV? Do I turn a blind eye? I feel I can't. 

I have something to give you though. A token of my appreciation for all of those days my world made sense because of you.

Sooo, I understand you're going to be at loose ends for the next few months. Brian, you're a GREAT story teller. I write novels. Why don't you try your hand at it? Join me! I'll be here with you every step of the way. Let me help you. Join us (anonymously) for Writing Games. Join me anonymously on Twitter. (I'm @blacklily_f over there.)

Grow. Expand. Let me help you the way you helped me. Turn your massive intellect to creative pursuits. Fail epically! It's just between me and you. And I swear a horrible novel doesn't feel worse than this moment. I'm a great cheerleader. I have a really, really nice set of sparkly virtual pom poms. Ask any of my writer friends on Twitter. And I have time to cheer you on. I will.

Love and THANKS,

Melanie 

Comments

Subscribe Now!

Popular Posts