We All Need Grammar

So over the next few months I'm going to be changing up the content of this blog regularly. There will be a few writing games. I have ideas for a lot of them. I will put those up about once every other month. And I will be posting some more technical things on writing and grammar as well as some of the stuff about my own personal writing journey. Right now I'm delving into the completely boring world of diagraming sentences. I know some of you out there are really wondering...why?

It's really very simple. Diagramming sentences, certainly not something I learned in either my primary or college education, is a way of breaking down sentences into their component parts. And I believe it is a tool every writer should at least understand if not be able to execute it themselves. So many of our writing style and grammar rules become visible when diagraming sentences. And you may finally understand what dangling a participle is and why it makes a difference. It is a visual tool for the codification of grammar rules and if you know the rules you can make better choices, especially about when to break them and why.

So with each new post on grammar I will be breaking down the separate parts of the sentence as it relates to the diagram and how to use it in a sentence properly. I hope this helps you put a few more tools in the tool box.

Love,

Melanie

Comments

Subscribe Now!

Popular Posts