New (Writing) Year's Resolution

So the new year starts in a few hours here and I'm sharing with you what I would change both about my life and my writing in the new year.
 
1) I'm going to lose weight. Technically this is a continuing resolution. I'm down almost 30 pounds this year. And I am working out almost twelve hours a week. This has brought about some amazing writing benefits to me. First I write more creatively. It's just there, I don't know why I just know what is. I also write more quickly. This I think has something to do with the changes in my brain on exercise. I take stress a bit more easily and I have better endurance. So YAY to that. And lastly I write more consistently. It seems like the addition of exercise to my routine has really helped my fiction. Go Me. All I can say is if you are struggling to bring your best writing to your work, exercise. It really, really helps.
 
I am also more conscious about what kinds of foods I put in my body in my weight loss journey. I find that upping my veggies has really changed the way my body feels. It feels less toxic, sluggish and more alive. All of this has helped my writing. It has improved my focus. So yeah, I get it, eating right isn't really fun, but it helps. Back slowly away from the IRL brownie today and cut those things back to once a week. That's my new mantra. Chocolate lures me into feeling all lovely and satisfied, and during these long, cold months of exile here in the frozen wasteland makes chocolate feel like a necessity. But that's what had me packing on the pounds, gotta stay strong.
 
2) I'm going to actually finish editing something this year. Hopefully more than one something, but then again I was DETERMINED to get  Aaralyn's Choice done in 2014. All I can plead on that front friends is EPIC FAIL. But I learned some things about myself in the process. First of all I needed a rewrite so I had to take the thing down to an outline, retype and rewrite a bunch of scenes. There was new stuff to add and my fear of failing the story to be faced. But I am doing my stories a bigger disservice by not working on them. But letting them sit there as drafts I'm neglecting them, my vision, and their potential. I will edit and finish something this year. I have Twitter friends happy to kick my tushie on this one. So thanks in advance to @NaNoPals @madicienne and @MarcotteJN!
 
Ok, the list is short, but hey, something doable right? Have you made your list? Don't forget tomorrow starts #NaNoEdiMo right here on the blog. Pull out a manuscript and let's edit it together!
 
Love,
Melanie

Comments

Unknown said…
My list is HUGE. But I made a point to ease into some things in December. It's basically about getting myself into a routine and work mode. A lot of little things for a few bigger goals. Writing success, better mental and physical health, and better finances.
Just a little note of encouragement, you reach your goals one day at a time. Hope it's going well for you. Remember if you fall off the horse. "Tomorrow is another day." -Scarlett O'Hara Gone With The Wind

Subscribe Now!

Popular Posts