#NaNoWriMo2014

So I've started my new novel, tentatively called The List. It's more than a bit of a stretch for me as it's more of a mainstream love story complete with sad ending and all. But I am so excited to be writing it despite the fact that I cry all the time when get to plotting the end of the book. I've been crying over this thing for days, and I can only hope all of this emotion translates onto the page.
 
If you haven't already heard about this book, it is written is first person by a young man named Evan (that name is subject to change for personal reasons. And if you happen to know those reasons, please keep your mouth shut. It's a draft, not the whole deal.) About how he falls in love with a much older woman (Jordyn). As he goes from interest, to love, to worship to finding out she has a terminal illness and how he copes with her loss. He comes to appreciate the life lessons she gave him on her death bed and how the tragedy in her life reinforced his already solid moral compass. His wife  (Kate) tells him to write this memoir of his life with Jordyn so that Jordyn's perspective will be preserved forever.

The story is really sad. And every time I sit down to plot it, I cry. So I've been crying basically every day for almost three weeks and everybody thinks I'm on a slippery slope to go off the deep end. Ironically I feel more alive and better than ever these days. Perhaps that's why I feel so ready or willing to take on such an emotional story.

As I write this for you, I am currently on day 2 of National Novel Writing Month and I've got just over seven thousand words written. I'm hoping to have about ten thousand by the end of the day. I think this book will end up being about 60 t0 70 thousand words, perhaps a bit longer. At the rate I'm writing it, I will probably be done by Thanksgiving.

If you are writing your own project, keep me updated on Twitter. If you aren't already following me there I'm @blacklily_f.

Love,

Melanie

Comments

Subscribe Now!

Popular Posts