Cain His Brother, Anne Perry

The Book

    William Monk is called in to investigate the death of Angus Stonefield, aka the "good twin". Could it be that the "bad twin" Caleb Stone really has, in jealousy, murdered his brother? 

 Angus's widow, Genevieve, clearly believes that Caleb has killed her husband, but with no body, no ransom, and no threat for the cops to follow, they won't take up her case. She is referred to Monk by his former partner, John Evan. Monk, moved by her predicament and her dignity, agrees. He even allows her husband's former guardian, Lord Ravensbrook, to foot the bill, to save the widow some money. But finding Caleb, much less Angus' body proves elusive. 

Meanwhile, Hester Latterly has taken up nursing the poor in Limehouse during the most recent outbreak of typhoid fever (the main symptoms are gastroenteritis and fever). Callandra Daviot and Dr. Kristian Beck are helped in this enterprise by Lady Ravensbrook. When Monk finds out he is annoyed that Hester would put herself in danger in order to serve these people. And instead of confronting these uncomfortable feelings, he distracts himself by taking up with the beautiful, charming Drusilla Wyndham, who is everything he believes he wants in a woman. Why can't Hester understand that emotional things done under duress are no way to have a relationship? Surely she understands this. 

But like every other woman Monk believes is "his type", he finds he's dreadfully wrong. Drusilla is a scheming lady with pure hatred of Monk at her heart. She falsely accuses him of molesting her, threatening his livelihood and he is at a loss as to what to do. 

Hester, decides to rescue him. And Monk is still wrestling with that by end of the book, even when he figures out the truth about Angus and Caleb, in a twist ending that pulls at the heartstrings.


My Thoughts

    So, I would have had the plot twist that makes this book brilliant closer to the front of the novel. Which is perhaps where it was. In any case, Perry explores insanity in this book, how is develops, and how destructive not having it treated can be. She treats this normally taboo subject with her characteristic compassion and moral core. 
    I know I read the book, and I even remembered the twist ending, but it felt so new and fresh to me. It believe it has been a good 20 years since I read the book, and it shows. This book was a joy to read, and I kept powering through chapters. I admit, I had forgotten the little plot twist of Drusilla, but like the first time I read it, I knew she was trouble. Sometimes, it pays to understand your writer. 

How Much My Library Card Saved Me

    This book was sent to me from the Des Plaines public library. I have a friend who works there, and every time they send me a book, I smile and hope Cam pulled it for me. They have an extensive Anne Perry collection there. This book is in excellent condition, almost pristine, with only a few places where the tape on it has lost its sticky. It entered their library in August of 2013, and looks barely read. I know from a conversation with Cam, and a few of my other library worker friends (librarian being reserved for people who have a Master of Library Information Sciences degree), that many, many Perry's have been read over the summer, the first summer after she passed away. It has another one of those Mortalis interviews in the back. I still wonder where that came from, but this one is an interview with William Monk. I was not impressed. The receipt says I save $15.00, which is in line with other books in this series published at that time. 



This Book                                                                             $15.00

Items Reviewed This Year                                                $1088.27



Still Here? 

    Do me a huge favor and subscribe to the blog. To get it in your inbox, subscribe here. Thanks, it means the world to me!

Comments

Subscribe Now!

Popular Posts