Blood of Elves, Andrezj Sapkowski

The Book

    The Witcher Geralt has waited a long time for the prophesized child to be revealed. When she finally is, he decides it is in his power to change the course of her destiny. He does everything he can to keep her safe, and to make sure she grows up to be able to use all of her powers and all of her authority. It's not a job Geralt wanted, and yet, it's a job he is destined to do. 
    All around them, their world drifts towards war. Grand strategies play out, good and evil, right and wrong are confused. Arguments sharpen, and all the while a little girl is growin up. Growing up to be a witcher, a fighter, the bringer of destiny. She's growing to be Ciri, The White Flame. The child of Surprise, who will bring the end of civilization.

My Thoughts

    So, I understand why this book is so difficult for some to read. I think, as a novelist, there are three reasons behind it. 

1) This is early in Andrzej Sapkowski's career. He hasn't learned how to pace well yet, neither inside of sentences nor inside of scenes. I'm told he gets better, much better, but I cannot answer that question for myself, yet. Anyway, when there is nothing wrong with a sentence or a scene, but it's kinda dragging along, it makes me sleepy. The last book to make me this sleepy when reading it was The Secret of Chimneys.  But, boy howdy, did it ever. This book is NOWHERE near as bad as that. Nonetheless, it was just a bit of a slog, for reasons I cannot quite idenitify. 
2) Sapkowski wrote the original in Polish and I am reading a translation. Because translations, even the best translations, miss nuiances in sentences, sometimes I find I have to go back and read the sentence more than once in order to understand it. And this book is highly nuanced. In fact, so much so, that if you like the story, it demands you do a second reading. I am certain that much like the greatest works of art, this book has so much in it, so much that is easy to miss, that each reading will reveal something new. 
3) And lastly, I think Sapkowski is trying something very, very bold. I like it. He's telling Ciri's story from almost everyone else's point of view. And that, is, interesting. He tells the story as if you are in the fog of war. Where information is incomplete, fragmented, and sometimes, misleading. He keeps us on our toes. Are our narrators reliable? Are they unreliable? He doesn't let us know. He does let us know what others think, but those opinions are as colored by human frailty as are our own. And this is why, once the series gets into your blood, it stays. It is not surprising then, that the books have spawned both a gaming series and a streaming series. 

How Much My Library Card Saved Me

    This is the section where I talk about the physical condition of the book that I read. This book was lent to me by my oldest child. It is in very good condition, with no bent pages, dog ears or markings in the book. I am thinking I should be tracking down the supplies and techniques libraries use to give books their longest life possible and employing them in our personal collections. If I do, you can expect a blog post on it.  
    The oldest child is my most voracious reader. They purchased this book and several others in this collection while traveling to Los Angeles in the summer of 2021. This was their first time traveling alone (as an adult), and had to deal with the frustrating airline system in this country. This book kept them company during their delays. Although the kiddo segued into the series having first played the video games, they now considering themselves to be primarily a books fan. This is not a surprise since they owns more than 50 books in their personal collection. The book retailed for $16.99 two years ago. 

This Book                (Not from Library)                             $0.00


Value of Nonlibrary Books Read This Year                      $17.98

Library Books Reviewed This Year                                 $816.10


Still Here? 

    Do me a huge favor and subscribe to the blog. To get it in your inbox, subscribe here. Thanks, it means the world to me!

Comments

Subscribe Now!

Popular Posts