Finally Met My Goal




Yeah, it's been such a long time since I actually won one of these that I had nearly forgotten what it felt like. To be fair, at first it was disengagement from my writing cycle as I noticed that it was hurting my marriage, my relationship to my kids, my happiness. I needed to get a better emotional handle on it. And that took a few months. Just when I thought I might be ready to try again, my dog died, and another year of grieving on top of that. 

Then new dog, new perspective, new , new pen name, and a new genre. Or rather a return to my first loved genre, mysteries. I've named my new kick ass girl detective after the beloved first dog and I thought things were on the up and up. But my hip problems reemerged and I was in too much discomfort to write. So time for a hip replacement and more time off to recover.

And before I could walk again, new dog unexpectedly passed. Another round of grieving, and I began to wonder if I was still a writer. Sure, I was writing short stories and plotting out novels. The short stories I could get finished, but the novels? I hadn't finished one of those in over three years, nor had I met a reduced goal for Camp NaNoWriMo.

So yeah, it feels good. And to be clear, I have yet to finish the first draft of this book. But, I have free time for the next two weeks and I reached the halfway point. I know where this book is going. So the first draft will be done by my drop dead date of August 14th. And that will also feel good.

I know many of you who read this blog have other jobs, just like I've picked up contract work over this past year. And I know many of you, are struggling with I am still a writer because my life got crazy? So many blogs, books and gurus out there tell you, if you want it you have to do it. And while I agree in principle with that idea, if you're still writing after so many set backs, then maybe you are still a writer. And you do have what it takes to get it done. 

As I stated at the beginning of the summer, I'm going to be more intentional about this blog. So if you got something out of this post please subscribe. 

Comments

Subscribe Now!

Popular Posts